Monday, September 8, 2008

Back to Basics

Heading into my third week of fall semester classes, I have decided to go from four classes down to three. I thought by taking an American Politics class this would not only enhance my minimal knowledge of the subject, but in the mean time I would obtain 3 credit hours towards my degree. I knew during the first night of class that the instructor was absolutely not for me. The workload for the 16 week class was unbelieveable and I just didn't feel a connection with the instructor. I am certain I could have muttled through and handled all four classes, but honestly, it would all be at Kaiden's expense. Although I wan't to enhance my life through education, I will never take on so much that I feel as if I am placing Kaiden on the backburner. Between being a SAHM and accomplishing all of the tasks of laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, taking Kaiden to speech therapy 3x's weekly, spending time with my three girls, and homework, I sometimes have to remind myself that I am only one person. I don't handle stress well (I have a very low tolerance) so this decision works out for all of us....just ask my hubby! ;)
Now there is the topic of home renovations......sigh. It's all coming along sloooooowly, but there are only 24 hours in a day. My poor husband works all day, comes home, and then works in the house several hours each night. I think he is getting a little burned out on all of it since we (I mean he) has devoted a lot of time on the house over the past 6 months. I do what I can, but he says I am the decorator. The change to the entryway into the kitchen is complete and the drywall is complete, so now we are getting ready to paint. The countertops should be in within a week or so and I am going to paint my kitchen cabinets a cream color and glaze them with a chocolate brown. Progress is being made and I have to remind myself of that daily when I wake up in the morning and proceed to wipe the 1/4" of dust off of all my furniture. My husband thinks I am crazy for doing it, but it drives me crazy for things to be out of place and so dusty/dirty! Next project is our den! We are pulling all of the 1969 paneling down, making sure there is good insulation in the walls, drywalling, and putting wood laminate flooring throughout the whole house with the exception of the laundry room and bathrooms. Just maybe this will all be complete by Christmas, but Thanksgiving would be better!!! I don't plan on pushing the subject with my hubby though!
I feel like I am back to basics in my life. In the past I truly enjoyed working on my home. I have always enjoyed going to thrift stores, yard sales, and discovering those great little finds that with a little TLC blossom into a great pieces for your home. Thanks to Barbie at Moments Memories Milestones and the transformation of her little black chair, it has truly inspired me. I love her new furniture finds and it has inspired me to take on projects (smaller ones right now)and get back to the basics of who I am, and to do what I truly enjoy! I love making our house more than just our house. We may not have the biggest or grandest home in the world but with a little creativity I can take what we have and create a home. Thanks Barbie!



>

0 comments: